I don’t know about you but when I’m working and it’s chilly outside sometimes I just need a little something..
Just like the children do when they get home from school..
I think I’ve found the perfect recipe and snack for you – Peanut Butter Energy Bars!
These bars are so easy it’s almost a non-recipe.
You can choose whether to turn the salty-sweet dough into either snack balls or bars that are super handy for on-the-go snacking.
They are – vegan, gluten free, peanut butter-y, moist, naturally sweetened, hearty, wholesome, salty-sweet, healthy, portable and delicious.
It takes 30 minutes and will give you approx. 8 servings.
1 1/2 cups / 32 dates – soak in warm water for 10 minutes if not moist and sticky
1/2 cup of natural peanut butter (creamy and salted is best)
1/2 cup rolled oats (ideally gluten free)
- If your dates are not sticky and moist, soak in warm water for 10 minutes and then drain. Otherwise, proceed to step 2.
- Add dates to a food processor and pulse until only small bits remain – it will likely clump into a ball – that’s what you want. If any big pieces remain, use a knife or spatula to push them down, then turn the machine back on to pulse.
- Add peanut butter and oats and pulse a few more times until incorporated, stirring and scraping down sides as needed. If you prefer denser bars, add more oats.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined 8×8 dish and press down until flat, OR scoop out 1 Tbsp amounts and roll into a ball and place on a baking sheet or plate. Transfer to freezer to set.
- If making bars, slice into 8-10 bars and store in the fridge or freezer to keep fresh. They can be a little flimsy at room temp, so be gentle with how you stack them.
- Will keep in the fridge for several weeks, and in the freezer for up to a couple months or more..
- Switch up the nut butter and dried fruit (or try ingredients like chocolate chips, crystalized ginger, or coconut) to ensure your snack is never boring.
- If your peanut butter isn’t salted, consider adding 1/4 tsp sea salt.
Let me know if you give this recipe a go & comment below telling me what you thought.